Tristan Harris used to work for Google as a code writer where he soon discovered that apps and websites existed for the sole purpose of serving ads – not mental health or less anxiety.
Now Harris has become an advocate for taking control of our digital devices without giving up the more useful aspects.
- Turn off all notifications except from real live people
- Using grayscale instead of the more inviting color.
- Limit your first screen of apps to just tools–the apps you use for quick in-and-out tasks like Maps, Camera, Calendar, Notes, or Lyft. Move the rest of your apps, especially mindless choices off the first page and into folders.
- Charge your device outside of your bedroom.
- Remove social media from your phone – it is the attention black hole.
For more about these and other ways to take control of your digital life, click here.
To receive tomorrow’s DayStarters, click here.
Recent Day Starters: