An Australian hospice nurse kept a list of the regrets among her dying patients. Here they are in order.
- I wish I had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
- I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish I had let myself be happier.
Notice spending time at the office or work did not make the list. Nor did anything about making money.
What a gift it would be for us today if we re-read the above list, took it to heart and made it our lifelong commitment to personal happiness.
Never miss a Day Starter, subscribe for free here.