There was a fascinating article in the Wall Street Journal about our holiday gifting habits.
We’re giving more gifts to ourselves!
The NPD Group survey cited 32% of consumers had already purchased gifts for themselves this season with a little more than two weeks before Christmas.
Before the recession, 12% of consumers admitted to self-gifting. Last year 19% told NPD that they intended to buy gifts for themselves but after the holidays that number rose to 26%.
There is certainly nothing wrong with buying gifts for ourselves especially since most people push their budgets to also buy many gifts for others. (Only 18% of those surveyed this year said they weren’t going to shop at all).
Self-gifting is not new. What may be news is that it is on the rise.
But while we are considering that special holiday gift for ourselves, here are gifts that cost us nothing and bring benefits all year long:
- The gift acceptance that we are human therefore not perfect and will remind ourselves of it often in the year ahead.
- The gift of forgiveness not only to others but to ourselves as well. Anger and resentment can fester inside. It’s not worth it. Let it go and be free.
- The gift of adventure. If we were told we had only 3 years left to live, we would likely live it differently and more meaningfully. Why wait? See life’s ups and downs as an adventure because the lows accentuate the highs and the highs are the reward for the lows.
- The gift of time. Given to others, it is a precious commodity these days. When we give ourselves time to enjoy life, our friends and family we make everyone happy.
- The gift of appreciation. No one can be depressed while they are in the process of appreciating others or something special that has happened to us. Go ahead and give this gift as many times a day as possible.
“A hug is the perfect gift; one size fits all, and nobody minds if you exchange it.”
But let’s also remember to give ourselves a hug more often.
Thanks for sharing my daily thoughts with friends and associates. Feel free to post this link to your website if you’d like to spread the positive word.
Start receiving these messages daily here.